100% full Not resolved
Additional Services
Insurance Quality

Booked a 5 day rental from Payless Car Rental at an offsite airport location (Toronto Pearson International) through Expedia. A few days later I checked Priceline and found an even better price which included unlimited mileage. I cancelled my Expedia reservation and rebooked on Priceline - including purchasing collision damage insurance through Priceline. We arrived at the offsite office after not too big an ordeal getting to the office from the airport. Once there we had to wait in line for about 40 minutes before being waited on. The woman behind the counter was very rude about the fact I had prepurchased CDW insurance and proceeded to inform me that I had to purchase liability insurance and she could offer it to me for just 11.95 per day. I declined and said I was already covered under my own insurance policy - and I even gave her my insurance slip (in Ontario liability insurance is mandatory). She would not accept it and told me I had to prove CF 27 insurance coverage (whatever that made up document may be). I informed her that this was a scam and that I wanted to decline the insurance. In frustration I advised her to just charge me the insurance cost and I would be on my way as we had plans for the evening and I was wasting time getting this car. We finally got our paperwork - which indicated we were renting a Corolla. We were taken to our vehicle - which was a Honda Civic with scratches everywhere and peeling paint. We left in the vehicle. The following day we noted that the front tires were showing the wear bars. The car wouldn't even pass a safety inspection! The car had 85,134km on it when we took it out – the tires were likely original. When we returned the vehicle the man behind the counter said it would be just over $350. I asked him for a breakdown of that cost as that was not what I had agreed to pay. He quoted me the Expedia price, plus all their fees. I advised that I had cancelled the Expedia reservation and showed him my cancellation e-mail. He said my booking was processed under the Expedia charge so that is what I had to pay. I was very clear with him that I was not paying it and to call a manager to resolve it as I would pay the price I was quoted from my Priceline booking. He reluctantly made the change. My final bill included a huge number of “fees” - $1 per day Energy Recovery Fee, 80c per day MTFC fee, $5.95 per day VLATR fee, and a 14.5% AMF fee. What is the AMF fee?

While we were waiting for the shuttle to go back to the airport we spoke with 2 other couples who refused to pay the ludicrous additional fees and insurance and were going back to the airport to find an alternate car rental provider – which is what we should have done! This so called business does not operate in the spirit of the consumer protection act and cons customers into paying far more than they would have anticipated. My advice is to avoid this outfit at all costs. I would walk before I would ever rent from this unethical and underhanded so called business.

807daisy wrote the review because of "hidden fees, unsafe vehicle, poor customer service, unethical insurance coverage requirement" at Payless Car Rental and attached photo s. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $60 and wants Payless Car Rental to issue a partial refund.

The most disappointing in user's experience was terrible customer service, hidden fees, unsafe vehicle and insurance scam. The author asks this business to immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Payless Car Rental honda civic rental for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Payless Car Rental?

Comments