Booked a 5 day rental from Payless Car Rental at an offsite airport location (Toronto Pearson International) through Expedia. A few days later I checked Priceline and found an even better price which included unlimited mileage. I cancelled my Expedia reservation and rebooked on Priceline - including purchasing collision damage insurance through Priceline. We arrived at the offsite office after not too big an ordeal getting to the office from the airport. Once there we had to wait in line for about 40 minutes before being waited on. The woman behind the counter was very rude about the fact I had prepurchased CDW insurance and proceeded to inform me that I had to purchase liability insurance and she could offer it to me for just 11.95 per day. I declined and said I was already covered under my own insurance policy - and I even gave her my insurance slip (in Ontario liability insurance is mandatory). She would not accept it and told me I had to prove CF 27 insurance coverage (whatever that made up document may be). I informed her that this was a scam and that I wanted to decline the insurance. In frustration I advised her to just charge me the insurance cost and I would be on my way as we had plans for the evening and I was wasting time getting this car. We finally got our paperwork - which indicated we were renting a Corolla. We were taken to our vehicle - which was a Honda Civic with scratches everywhere and peeling paint. We left in the vehicle. The following day we noted that the front tires were showing the wear bars. The car wouldn't even pass a safety inspection! The car had 85,134km on it when we took it out – the tires were likely original. When we returned the vehicle the man behind the counter said it would be just over $350. I asked him for a breakdown of that cost as that was not what I had agreed to pay. He quoted me the Expedia price, plus all their fees. I advised that I had cancelled the Expedia reservation and showed him my cancellation e-mail. He said my booking was processed under the Expedia charge so that is what I had to pay. I was very clear with him that I was not paying it and to call a manager to resolve it as I would pay the price I was quoted from my Priceline booking. He reluctantly made the change. My final bill included a huge number of “fees” - $1 per day Energy Recovery Fee, 80c per day MTFC fee, $5.95 per day VLATR fee, and a 14.5% AMF fee. What is the AMF fee?
While we were waiting for the shuttle to go back to the airport we spoke with 2 other couples who refused to pay the ludicrous additional fees and insurance and were going back to the airport to find an alternate car rental provider – which is what we should have done! This so called business does not operate in the spirit of the consumer protection act and cons customers into paying far more than they would have anticipated. My advice is to avoid this outfit at all costs. I would walk before I would ever rent from this unethical and underhanded so called business.
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Customer service
- Hidden fees
- Unsafe vehicle
- Insurance scam
- Reason of review:
- Hidden fees, unsafe vehicle, poor customer service, unethical insurance coverage requirement
- Preferred solution:
- Price reduction
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Honda Civic Rental
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "When I returned the car they said that I was responsible for a scuff mark on the tire. They charged me 166 English Pounds or approximately $255.00 to cover this..."
- "I did a reservation and paid through Orbits. The car I ordered was "Ford Escape of similar". When I was doing the paperwork in Salt Lake City airport everything went..."
- "This happened to us in Cancun at the airport terminal. When they gave us the car, unfortunately we did not do a thoroughly inspection and when we return it they..."
- "IQor is Ignorant of Rogers Open Cable Boxes in Downtown Ottawa. iQor believes every claim that Rogers has passed to them for Collections. iQor really gets a kick out of..."
- "Said breeder, Lila Kyriakopolous, sold us a sick Pomeranian puppy on February 2nd, 2013. We paid $850 and she gave us a health guarantee. She also did not vaccinate the..."
- "Vitabreeze. It’s an Amazon-only scam that you probably have never heard of. Never heard of that company, right? That’s because they are a fly-by-night Amazon scam, with FAKE REVIEWS on..."
- "My girlfriend and I checked into the Comfort Inn in Mt. Airy, N.C., only to find bed bugs in the room. With nowhere else to go, we were put..."
- "I have had a terrible experience with light in the box! I paid (Oct. 12) for item with express expedited shipping (3-4 business days) (1-3 days for processing). I have..."
- "Vizio, 18 mos. and $1700.00. 70 inch and the screen lost the picture and kept the voice. I called vizio and went through there test and it was still no..."