I selected Payless because it was going to cost me $30 less than Enterprise at the Tampa Airport in January 2016.It took me AN HOUR AND A HALF to finally get waited on with only 2 people ahead of me!
I had booked the reservation through Hotwire.com and their receipt shows it was supposed to be $123. At the counter, I waived/declined all optional services such as insurance and roadside assistance. The clerk had me initial that I waived everything. When I returned the car, again,it took several minutes to get someone to wait on me.
Once they did, they were clueless and kept bringing other staff over to look at the computer while checking in the car. All of them shrugged their shoulders - the clerk wouldn't tell me what the problem was. The shuttle was leaving so he handed me a piece of paper and I headed for the airport. A few days later, my credit card statement showed FOUR charges totalling over $400!!.
I had my credit card company reverse all the charges until Payless could explain what was the true amount due. None of the 4 charges was near the $123 cost I had agreed to. Payless opened a ticket on their service desk. I explained everything and also pointed out that the charge they slipped through did not say "Roadside Service" and the way I read the contract, I had declined ALL optionals.
I told them I specifically waived the RSP additional service and the clerk had me initial it on the contract. Payless declined to reverse the RSP amount. We have gone round and round and now they "ruled" that I was not due reimbursement. Now they have sent me a new bill for the amount of Roadside Service Protection (as it had been reversed from my credit card when it was in dispute).The Payless desk clerk was specifically told and knew that I waived all optional charges.
I have several car rental agreements from other companies that would prove I never pay for anything optional. When I returned the car, Payless staff couldn't explain anything. I was not even in a position to fight the charge because the Payless office staff couldn't figure out what I owed. So they advised me to call corporate once I got back home.
2 days later I checked my credit card statement - There were 4 random charges totalling about $400!! It's obvious Tampa staff didn't know what they were doing and that the staff is not very well trained and makes lots of errors. In light of the major confusion of their clerks and Payless' inability to explain to me what was due, in addition to my pattern of NEVER buying optional items, I requested the "error" be righted and that the charge be reversed. Payless refused to reimburse me for the $42.03 and to escalate the matter.
Payless staff made several obvious mistakes (ie. look at my Chase credit card statement!), but yet they are holding me to a charge for a service I did not request and, in fact, declined! If you check ConsumerAffairs.com, YELP.com, my3cents.com, BBB(of which they are NOT a member) and TripAdvisor.com you will see numerous complaints and it becomes clear that Payless is notorious for overcharging people for services they didn't want.
They should change their name to "Paymore".AVOID PAYLESS CAR RENTAL - whatever the "apparent" savings is, it's not worth the horrendous experience even if you miraculously are not overcharged as most people are!!!
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Customer service
- Billing errors
- Refund policy
- Inept staff
- Long wait
You May Also Like
- "We traveled to Spain in a big group and rented 3 units of 7-seater cars (Volkswagen Touran or similar) with Avis. Full payment has been made 3 weeks before the..."
- "I rented a car fro the Surrey location on 72ns Avenue on Surrey yesterday and let me start by saying you should never give this location any business whatsoever. I..."
- "I bought a new Ford and opted for some after market work to be done by the dealership. They offered to rent me a car at an in house..."
- "I stopped by the Drive Thru at 2016 50th Street Tampa, Florida at 5:00 PM and placed an order for Chicken soft Taco and a Beefy Fritos Burrito. When the..."
- "Sandy Solomon SCAMMED us with over billing, double billing and charges above expected while sending methodically so many invoices that it was impossible to follow up on and check. We recommend:..."
- "Business Info: Toothills Inc DBA Sunset Auto Exchange1828 N Washington Blvd Sarasota, FL 34234-7525941 954-7111Consumer's Original Complaint :I purchased a 2004 Suzuki xl7 form the above named company on November..."
- "Omg old lettuce thankfully very little of it and no tortillas with my fajitas? Triangle town center in Raleigh is having some issues with online ordering and the app orders...."
- " I stayed at the red roof Inn in Mohave California I thought I was in the ghetto in south-central LA very disturbed by the clientele that was there everyone..."
- "I started with 30 boxes of the Tarkett coco berry flooring. I was to be covering approximately 500 square foot, upon opening I noticed a lot of..."