Payless Car Rental Tampa FL- DON'T USE THEM-Scams People
I selected Payless because it was going to cost me $30 less than Enterprise at the Tampa Airport in January 2016.It took me AN HOUR AND A HALF to finally get waited on with only 2 people ahead of me!
I had booked the reservation through Hotwire.com and their receipt shows it was supposed to be $123. At the counter, I waived/declined all optional services such as insurance and roadside assistance. The clerk had me initial that I waived everything. When I returned the car, again,it took several minutes to get someone to wait on me.
Once they did, they were clueless and kept bringing other staff over to look at the computer while checking in the car. All of them shrugged their shoulders - the clerk wouldn't tell me what the problem was. The shuttle was leaving so he handed me a piece of paper and I headed for the airport. A few days later, my credit card statement showed FOUR charges totalling over $400!!.
I had my credit card company reverse all the charges until Payless could explain what was the true amount due. None of the 4 charges was near the $123 cost I had agreed to. Payless opened a ticket on their service desk. I explained everything and also pointed out that the charge they slipped through did not say "Roadside Service" and the way I read the contract, I had declined ALL optionals.
I told them I specifically waived the RSP additional service and the clerk had me initial it on the contract. Payless declined to reverse the RSP amount. We have gone round and round and now they "ruled" that I was not due reimbursement. Now they have sent me a new bill for the amount of Roadside Service Protection (as it had been reversed from my credit card when it was in dispute).The Payless desk clerk was specifically told and knew that I waived all optional charges.
I have several car rental agreements from other companies that would prove I never pay for anything optional. When I returned the car, Payless staff couldn't explain anything. I was not even in a position to fight the charge because the Payless office staff couldn't figure out what I owed. So they advised me to call corporate once I got back home.
2 days later I checked my credit card statement - There were 4 random charges totalling about $400!! It's obvious Tampa staff didn't know what they were doing and that the staff is not very well trained and makes lots of errors. In light of the major confusion of their clerks and Payless' inability to explain to me what was due, in addition to my pattern of NEVER buying optional items, I requested the "error" be righted and that the charge be reversed. Payless refused to reimburse me for the $42.03 and to escalate the matter.
Payless staff made several obvious mistakes (ie. look at my Chase credit card statement!), but yet they are holding me to a charge for a service I did not request and, in fact, declined! If you check ConsumerAffairs.com, YELP.com, my3cents.com, BBB(of which they are NOT a member) and TripAdvisor.com you will see numerous complaints and it becomes clear that Payless is notorious for overcharging people for services they didn't want.
They should change their name to "Paymore".AVOID PAYLESS CAR RENTAL - whatever the "apparent" savings is, it's not worth the horrendous experience even if you miraculously are not overcharged as most people are!!!
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Customer service
- Billing errors
- Refund policy
- Inept staff
- Long wait
You May Also Like
- "I booked a car for 40 hours. Opel Corsa, with 155000 km. I picked it up at 23:00 on a dark parking. The car has a million of scratches and..."
- "I would like to raise a complaint regarding a damage claim from the Greenmotion company that didn't occur while we got the car and also due to the rude treatment..."
- "This place was recommended by a friend who only used their services once. I was very excited to rent an RV and selected a coach size. I paid for the..."
- "First thing: I did my research I checked Angie's list, joined just for this move, checked the Better Business Bureau, plus any review web pages for NY metro area prior..."
- "I bought 2 Leather Sofas from Ashley's April of 2010 & purchased a warranty on them too $1,500 is what I paid for them. I had them no..."
- "I bought a "leather" sofa 3 years ago. I was assured that it would last for a long time. But soon the "leather" started to peel. when I came back..."
- "If you are considering buying a home warranty policy from AHS, you really need to have an attorney review the contract. What YOU think it says in black and white,..."
- "Total scam the kit does not cost $39.95 like is advertised (I attached picture) you are billed $123.84 for the kit. In 3 payments of $39.95..Then if you don't cancel..."
- "I purchased a whole house system from Rainsoft which included a softener, carbon filter, reverse osmosis, air ionizer and some laundry system thing called a Cleanstart. Well after a year..."